Shot Update

Well, at 8 weeks our boy is weighing in at 11 lbs 9 oz and is 23 inches long bringing him into the 60th percentile! We could not be prouder parents. As far as his shots went, he had three. Two in one leg and one in the other. Between the three shots the doctor told us that they contained multiple different vaccinations for the usual polio and such. I have never even contemplated not having my child vaccinated like some are these days because of my own personal opinion.

Anyway, he reacted as we expected, crying. :( Tears and all and it was another sad moment for this first time mommy. But considering his father and I are no stranger to tattoo needles, we expect he will hate needles now, but in 18 years be getting stuck with them multiple times in the name of art. :) 

We were told that the vaccines do not contain traces of the live viruses, which is great, but his immune system will react to the shots, as the vaccines are replicas of the virus strains. This may cause a fever, which I'm hoping is not the case because I know I will panic if it does. We were told to give him 2 ml of Children's Motrin when we got home and then again in another 6 hours. 

I personally am not a fan of Motrin, but I stuck to the doctor's orders. The only problem we encountered is that the Motrin cap does not have a line measurement for 2ml. rather it has 2.5. We did not feel comfortable just guessing where the 2ml line would be, so what we did was take a syringe (which I received in a first aid kit from y baby shower) and measured it that way, which you will need to do anyway because you have to dispense the medicine into the cheek to make sure it is swallowed. I'm not into mixing medicines into formula either, I do not think that is the most efficient way to give a child medicine. But that's just me. He has a nice nap and we will continue to watch for a fever and give him all the loving we can like usual. :)

Two Days after and baby is still good. We felt a little bit of a lump from where he was injected, but were told to put warm compresses on it and gently massage the area, which I did and the lump is gone. No fever or any reactions. Thank goodness! :) Back in two more months for more.

Comments

Popular Posts