Cheap Vacations

Staying on the theme of money-saving vacation ideas...have you ever thought of camping? Yeah...me either...until recently that is.

Things have certainly changed since I have been camping and I'm only 32. When I went camping last, it consisted of a half blown up air mattress and a nearly sheer vinyl tent, far off in the woods where your nearest neighbor may want to eat you while you sleep. So when I say things have changed. I mean it.

Now-a-days there are campgrounds that are located (somehow) within nature and also within the center of the fun at the same time. I'm sure you all know what it's like, but for people like me who haven't been paying attention in years, I was shocked to find all the comforts of home without actually being home. So let me tell you how I became a camping believer...

It all started when my best friend was sick of over paying an arm-and-a-leg for week long vacations at a hotel. And that arm-and-a-leg cost, that was just for a hotel room and it did not include the attractions and dining out (that cost another two body parts). This is why I believe that a lot of families just can't afford to go on vacations anymore. Booking the hotel room is the biggest expense of the entire trip. Which is comical since you will only be staying in there for a 1/4 of the time you are actually on vacation. The Summer is three months long, the Fall has decent weather and when Spring rolls around you can find some nice days in there too. So why are you only vacationing for one week? Simple response: that's all families can afford these day. But what if you can invest in your own hotel room? Check in whenever you want? Have the freedom of taking it with you on every vacation? Be able to cook meals in your own kitchen? Then relax on your own bed with your own sheets every night? Apparently, you can!

When your best friend calls you and says "Hey! We bought a camper!" I have to say, I had in my mind a small, aluminum can that you hitch onto your truck and could possibly fit a mattress in. With 4 kids, a husband and a dog, I had to wonder...where are they all going to fit? But then I saw it. A long room which housed a table and couch and mini kitchen. Two bedrooms on either end and a bathroom! Each spot of this amazing hotel on wheels turned into a bed or a place to sleep. There was room for storage and the floor had both carpeting and laminate tiles. There was the amazing water hook up, gas and electric. I could not believe it! The best part? It expanded on both sides, had an outdoor awning and a TV! I mean...c'mon...a home on wheels that you can drive anywhere for a fraction of the cost of hotels. No brainer.

But if you cannot afford your own camper, these campgrounds actually rent them out to you. If you're anything like me and have kids that are too young to just sit by a fire and twiddle their thumbs all day and night and call that fun, then the family-friendly campgrounds are the way to go. Not only will you meet people, but they offer free activities and things to keep you and your kids occupied.

My experience landed me at Sea Pirate Campground in West Creek, NJ. It was secured by a key code entry system which made me feel instantly safe.  You can rent small cabins, campers, or just a site for you to bring your own camper, RV or tent. There is a pool, multiple playgrounds, a convenience store, fire pits, coal BBQs, not to mention a large field to play in. They have electric and water hookup for your convenience. And with a name like Sea Pirate Campground, of course the theme of pirates are used throughout the grounds. Being a family-friendly campground, there are other themes and activities that change throughout the year. This week? Christmas in July which means that Santa is coming to the town! Are you a local and looking to visit your friends or family who are staying at the campground? No problem! Purchase a day pass (kids are free) and enjoy everything they have to offer without the commitment of staying overnight. Want to stay overnight? That's an option too.

Worried about a rainy day ruining your outdoor plans if you decide to camp? Try camping close enough to family and friends in order to have a rainy day get together or put the electronics away, venture out and go see a movie, visit an aquarium or if you feel like splurging (just a little) try an indoor arcade.

Either way, I honestly cannot see any downside to camping. Ok, well maybe the lack of room service, but we've been coaching our children to pick up after themselves for years now, haven't we moms?




Comments

Popular Posts