Organizing Your Closet

It all started while I was sitting in a pile of clothing on my bedroom floor. I was searching amongst the cotton and spandex for something to wear. But every piece of clothing I picked up was either too big or too small. I couldn't even find a pair of underwear that fit properly (TMI?). I looked around at all of these clothes jammed in my closet and in my drawers and under my legs on the floor and not one piece did I feel comfortable wearing.

Here's a little history lesson about me: I use to love clothes. I would go to the mall on my lunch breaks and find a cute top to wear out each night. I would invest in chic blazers for work. I'd buy fun jewelry to accessorize my latest fashions with. And it made me happy and I felt confident in what I wore. I actually took the time to try things on and experiment! Over the years though I lost interest in clothing after having babies. My body just kept changing. Bigger...then smaller...then bigger again...then landing at blah. I also ran out of free time to go shopping or to pay attention to the latest fashion trends. I started thinking; "Why buy a new shirt? It's going to be a burp cloth the minute I'd put it on anyway, so why bother?" So I never really took the time to properly dress myself for the past few years. I stopped finding shopping for clothes fun and I simply did what most moms do...I settled. I settled into using what I have and if that meant squeezing my fat ass into a size-too-small pair of jeans, then so be it. I didn't want to spend time or money dressing this mom body anyway. So I lost my confidence. I lost the joy of getting dressed in the morning. I stopped reading fashion magazines and going to the mall was like an outer body experience. I focused on my kids and their needs and almost completely neglected my own.

So as I was sitting in that pile of clothing, searching for something I can actually be proud to wear in public, it hit me...I actually cared. I was honestly shook. I wanted to look nice. I did care about what I was going to wear on my mom-body and I didn't feel guilty for it. I didn't feel like I should be ashamed for wanting to flatter my new figure. I didn't feel nervous to spend money on myself for once. I felt a little like my old self again. With that being said, I had to take care of the matter at hand and fast! It was time to purge. Complete closet makeover! Out with the blah and in with the...ummm...I don't have anything clever to say but you know what I mean.

The first thing I did was actually look at the clothes. I picked them up, tried them on. If they didn't fit or I didn't love them, I decided to not keep them. I did this with all my clothes and that included underwear and socks. From there, I discarded the ones that were in bad shape, and the ones that were like new I put into a pile to sell. I continued this cathartic routine with shoes, hats and scarves. Basically everything in my wardrobe!

Next came the organizing! It was time to take the pieces I decided to keep (and a few new ones I purchased) and put them away in my closet. Now I've seen amazing closets. Enviable closets. Ones which are as big as rooms. Ones that have custom shelving. Ones that have a relaxing chaise lounge chair smack dab in the middle (still unsure why that is though, is dressing yourself that exhausting?). Personally, I would love a light and bright walk in, much like the one that Mr. Big built Carrie in the first Sex & The City movie. And one day, I wish to have me one of those but for now...I am grateful for ample closet space I do have and I make it work for me.

Everyone's system is different and that's OK. Organization doesn't have to all look the same for everyone. It doesn't always mean that things have to be labeled. It just means that your belongings are neatly placed away and that you can find them when you need them. There is nothing worse than a missing shoe when you're on your way out the door.

I find it easier to sort my clothes in this way: all shirts, sweaters and coats on hangers, color coordinator and separated by sleeve length (I'm very Type A). My jeans, shorts and pants folded on my closet shelf. My undershirts, camis and unmentionables also folded and put in their assigned drawers, as are PJs. Shoes on a shoe rack, never work for me, so instead the ones I am not currently wearing often are put on the floor of my closet and then the ones I am living in are downstairs by our door in our shoe bin. All of my purses (which aren't many) are in a little basket on the floor in my closet as well. See picture below.










And there you have it! The finished look! I hope you get inspired to finally put an end to fishing for a shirt in the middle of an already hectic morning and take the time to properly organize all of your clothes because let's face it...if you look good on the outside, you will feel good on the inside! Or is it the other way around? Either one! Ok, keep a look out for my next blog where I tell you which sites you should use to sell all that gently worn clothing you just purged from your closet!

Remember Moms, it's ok to make yourself feel good. Rock your mom-bods and feel confident. You deserve it...hello, you made a human. Happy purging!

Comments

Popular Posts