#wtfisahashtaganyway...

While talking to a few peers whose children are in their "tween" years, I have come to find out that things have changed a lot since I was a kid and I'm only 28! It use to be dangerous for me to go onto a Yahoo! chat room and type out a/s/l based on their suggestive screen name. The worst that could really happen? The creep was lying to you about everything because of how absolutely anonymous it all was and get away with it. He or she will then ask to meet or send them a picture, to which you can delightfully just sign off and go back to playing the Sims or writing that report you told your parents you needed the computer for in the first place.

Nowadays? There is a whole universe online. There is much more out there than just the chat rooms. And things are not so anonymous anymore. Between smartphones, ipads, tablets and laptops it's getting harder to protect your children and their privacy. This generation does not prioritize the importance of privacy and how easily pictures, texts and social media posts are used. I did a search for the most popular sites our next generation is using and besides Facebook and Twitter (from my days) there is Tumblr, Instagram, VK, Flicker, Vine, Meetup, Tagged and Meetme as well as Snapchat. I thought texting and talking on the phone was enough at one point in my life. Then Facebook came along and allowed us to share a little bit more about ourselves. So what happened to K.I.S.S.? Keep It Simple Stupid! With all of these outlets, how do you even manage to keep everything strait? Ask your children if they know where their pictures are going after they hit "send". I bet you they have no idea of how they can be used, stolen or manipulated.

It's a little scary. What's even scarier is that now I have to imagine what will be around by the time my son grows up. I can't imagine the type of security features the computer techs of the world will come up with in a parent's fight for their child's safety and privacy. The worst is that there is no way to know of and keep up with all of these different forms of communication. How can anyone keep up? I'm still young and hip but I couldn't tell you what anything other than Facebook or Myspace is. Twitter makes no sense, I don't know the purpose of a damn hashtag (isn't it just the number symbol italicized?) and Instagram annoys me because it's nothing but drunk girl and food pics.


Even texting is getting crazy. How do you monitor a kid's phone? What do you check it every night? Guess what, you can delete texts and pictures as soon as you send them... right? I use to think the worst is finding out your significant other is "liking" and "friending" other guys or girls he/she doesn't know. I am wrong, the worst is finding out your son or daughter is the one doing these actions. I am dreading my son growing up in this type of public, online environment. Make it stop! Can't we just break the internet?

Comments

  1. I feel the same way!! I have teens and a pre teen and monitor very closely however it nearly impossible to monitor them 24 7. We have sat down with the kids and told them what nuts are out there and basically scared them to death. I am a very strict parent when it comes to my kids they will tell you themselves my girls will be 18 and I still don't let them go to the mall!! Education comes first in my house because there future is everything. Not that I don't want them not to have a social life I do, but I also want them safe and sound in there rooms lol!
    As a parent you must stay up with the times now what's going on in the schools be a part of everything! Your a young mommy which is a good thing I was to and it definitely help me with keeping up what these kids are doing
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts