House Arrest

It's easy to get caught up in every day life. And although life is full of fun and excitement, some days you just feel blah. Getting stuck in that rut like I did a few weeks into becoming a literal "stay-at-home-mom" was horrible. Of course I had fun with Baby, I still do. But the complete change in lifestyle threw me for a loop and it was hard to get excited for anything. I missed going out into the world and just being a part of it. I missed social interaction with an adult. Even the occasional "Thank You" I'd hear from a stranger as I held a door open was something I began to crave. It was actually so sad that the only thing I really looked forward to each day was "going" in the shower. 

For those women who have newborns who love their car seat more than their mother's arms, I say you are truly lucky. You can go here and there. Visit whomever. Run errands. Maybe even go for a casual stroll on the boardwalk to help get you out and BONUS: back in shape faster. My boy however, HATES being in the car seat which makes traveling solo nearly impossible. I'll give you a perfect example:

A few blogs ago, I mentioned how none of my clothes fit quite just yet so I needed to venture to the mall. I was super excited about this long over due and much needed outing. Well, I had my mother accompany me on a beautiful, Friday afternoon to sit in the back with my boy. Trust me, someone needs to sit with him because when he gets to crying, he can't catch his breath and starts coughing and I get super nervous and would probably in a car accident trying to pull over fast enough to console him. Also, it was finally nice to have a conversation which didn't involve my baby voice, even if it was only with my mother. :)

So, the five minute ride to the mall goes smoothly, thanks to my mom distracting him when he began with his sad face. Anyway, I desperately needed workout pants and all shoes. Yes, that's right. ALL SHOES! No one tells you that your feet grow after pregnancy and all those cute, expensive heels and flats you purchased pre-motherhood, will be unwearable! 

As we calmly stroll into our first store to check out footwear, baby has a complete meltdown. The only thing that will stop my poor boy from crying? Being held by his mommy. So, with my handy dandy BOBA, I strap up my guy. A huge sigh of relief... SILENCE. A content baby begins to fall fast asleep as my walking around, gathering shoes to try on, rocks him soundly to sleep. As a mother I am happier than anything that my baby is napping and happy. The 28 year old woman in me, not so much. Why? Have you ever tried balancing yourself with a 10lb child strapped to your torso as you try on a pair of Jessica Simpson heels? No? Well, I suggest you try it some time. It's quite the dangerous balancing act. 

After an hour walking around the mall, having my mother place items of clothing on my back to see what will fit and "may" fit if she saw it from the front, I muster up the courage to put my sleeping angel back into his stroller. Carefully and slowly. All is going well until an eye opens. Then the other. He's awake. But, I think to myself, maybe he will doze back off once we begin walking. WRONG. He realized he is back in that awful car seat and so begins the vicious cycle all over again

Oh well...there's always Facebook and Amazon, right??

Comments

Popular Posts