Lessons I Have Learned As A New Mom






1) I should have saved more money.

I know, I know, kids are expensive. I have been told that, I have saved for that. But I never knew just how expensive daycare is. In this economy there are a lot of sacrifices I am prepared to make but who will be watching my son while my husband and I are at work is NOT one of them. It's funny how you have to work just to pay the people who are watching your child while you work to pay them.Vicious cycle.

2) I can't force people to be involved in my son's life.

As much as I would love for relatives or friends to come around more often-or at all-it's not up to me. I cannot force anyone by the hand to call or text or show up. Though it makes me feel terrible for my son, as long as I show up, that is all that matters.

3) Nothing is perfect and mistakes will happen.

I have tried to get everything just right even before my son was born. Now that he is here I have learned that my house will always be in some sort of horrid state. That there will always be dishes in the sink, toys on the floor, the living room will be a little dusty. I will forget to pack wipes in the diaper bag. I won't be able to always do the right thing and as he gets older, I may not handle all situations correctly. I'm sure my temper will get the best of me one day and then the stress may get to me the next, but that's just how life is, it's unpredictable and chaotic in the best way. You can't plan for everything, I'm just glad I never forgot the baby.

4) Laundry will never go away. Ever.

Do I even need to explain this? Because I can't. I don't understand how this happens.

5) I should never have bought that Bumbo Seat or a lot of things for that matter.

We did use most things but that diaper hanger on the side of his changing table is more of a decoration than an actual necessity. We have diapers on the floor, the couch, the actual changing table, the counter and the box they came in. Oh and that Bumbo seat...he sat in it maybe once, he now likes to climb on it.

6) My body will never be the same.

Ugh! I hate this lesson. I honestly thought that after giving birth my body would magically get sucked back in the way it was before. HA! I now am the proud owner of 30 extra pounds and cellulite. Fun.

7) I NEED coffee more than food or water.

I still wake up at 3am for my son's late night craving. Oh and to change his wet clothes from yet another leaky diaper. I NEED coffee.

8) I have lost friends and gained new ones.

Everyone grows and sometimes you grow apart. Priorities change and so do people. The friends worth having will still be your friend long after the baby is born and surprisingly you will find new friends who either share your new lifestyle or are just interested in the new person you have become. And that new person is pretty awesome to someone.

9) I put myself last all the time.

I haven't had a haircut in almost a year. I haven't purchased a new shirt in about a year, I bought $250.00 worth of clothes last week at Osh Kosh and am gearing up for baby's 1st hair cut. Yup, I come last.

10) I don't give my husband enough credit.

He is amazing. He is everything I could ever want the father of my child to be and above all, he is the most perfect husband. I have to give him credit for how selfless and how attentive and just simply awesome he is as a human being.

11) I should never fight in front of our son.

We are an average married couple. We are human. We fight. But we should never fight in front of our son, no matter his age. I was so frustrated that I was yelling one time and I made him cry. I made my son cry. I have nightmares about it. This is one of those mistakes I was talking about earlier. They happen.

12) It's important to just enjoy the moment.

I am always thinking about what has to be done next. My mind is a jumbled mess of dates and to-do lists. I usually feel like I'm having an outer body experience and am watching me live a life that I don't feel I'm present in. Then I have moments where I am just in the "now". I am clear headed, not thinking of anything other than what is in front of me and it is simply pure happiness. I learned that I need to enjoy the moment more.

Comments

Popular Posts