In Our House

Before I moved in with my husband and before I was a mom, I was living a completely different life in a completely different house. I had all the time in the world I wanted to spend on myself. I was able to be selfish and lavish and use my time the way I want. When I became a wife and mother I sometimes forget what it's like to be just a girl. My house now, where I have begun this new life with my new family knows only one side of me. My house will never know what it's like to be full of pink and purple. It will never be prive to late night girl talk. It will never know what it's like to see me dancing for hours to Usher or Beyonce (kind of a good thing). My house will also never see me with free time to play dress up or do my nails on a semi-regular basis. My house will never always be organized. My house will never see the laundry be done in one load, folded and put away all in the same day. My house will never hear me sing at the top of my lungs to Les Mis (well, yes it will but I will always be interrupted during my favorite parts).

Instead my house gets to bare witness to me playing with my kids. To me cleaning up after someone is sick. My house will hear me telling boys to stop throwing balls in the house, to not fly that helicopter in the living room, to clean up after themselves. My house will hear laughter. My house will see me wipe away tears and fix cuts and scrapes. My house will see me dancing with my boy to Sesame Street and Thomas and Friends. My house will see first steps and hear first words. My house will be full of chaos and disorganization in the morning. My house will smell breakfast cooking on the weekends and watch our favorite morning shows on the couch. My house is lucky. My house gets to witness the absolute best part of my life. It gets to be a part of this huge adventure my husband and I started. It gets to watch us grow and live.

I sometimes yearn to be able to do little things that I use to. But then I think about how lonely it was. How I only really had myself to share my every day with. Now I get to live the best years of my life with the most amazing boys a girl could ask for. Dancing around with my son and husband to Sesame Street is far better than dancing by myself to any other song. I have been singing " The Itsy Bitsy Spider" with more passion than any Broadway show tune I would sing before. I could now care less about what color my nails are because my hands are too busy playing peek-a-boo. I would never trade in my old life for this fabulous new one. I'm happy to have realized I gave nothing up, instead I gained so much more.

Comments

Popular Posts