Just when you think you are finally seeing that baby weight melt away and reveal a glimpse of your post baby body, you have a run in with your 8 yer old stepson who tells you you have a big tummy. Talk about a confidence boost...better get out of those new (smaller sized) jeans you just bought and get back into those ever-so-flattering leggings.

It's true, my tummy is still big. I haven't done as much exercise as I would have hoped I would and haven't had the best diet since having my child, but then again, I never really did. I actually had an eating disorder in high school and struggled with it on and off  until I got pregnant. I'm very self conscious and have been since forever. Despite having my husband tell me every single day how beautiful or sexy I am, I still have doubts, especially after having a kid. What makes it worse is that all of these celebrities have their 6 week post baby body on display on every magazine and website I see and they look flawless. How can a new mom deal with all of that pressure and still feel good about herself?

It's hard. I know I have trouble dealing with still being two jean sizes away from where I was before pregnancy. I also know that I didn't just sit around and eat like a cow in order to not fit into my jeans, I had a baby and the way every woman's body is afterwards is different. I didn't gain much with my child, I just have to be honest and say that I haven't taken the time to work on myself the way I wish I could in order to get back into shape. I also don't want to fall into that eating disorder mode I use to be in to get the job done. I just have to be patient until I can find the time to do more with my exercise routine. But I am the most impatient person you will ever meet which is why I often feel discouraged.

I am posting this because it seems like everyone in Hollywood is having a baby right now and then right afterwards they are magically in that bikini they wore a year ago, 6 weeks later. As a real, full time mom with a full time job and life, it makes it seem as though I am the laziest woman alive to not be in that bikini as well and deep down I know that is not the case. I am constantly doing and moving. In fact, after all the events in a single day, I am ready for bed by Seven.

My advice to any woman going through the same thing is to be patient,,whether you are struggling with 20, 30, 50 or 60 lbs. Just do whatever you need to make yourself feel healthy and good and the rest will fall into place, slowly but surely. And don't take innocent comments from others and internalize it (I need to take my own advice more often on that one) their comments should mean nothing to you. The only opinion that should really matter is your own. Take as much positive out of the situation as possible and forget all the negative. Look at the big picture and see that from all those carbs you ate and are desperately hoping to work off, you got a beautiful child. And yes, your workout is now you running around after your baby for the next 18 years but I'm sure the extra pounds you're carrying around will be long gone by then. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts