Books I Read During Pregnancy

This is the Bible for all pregnant women. It's not that you have to read every bit of information in this book, because that will drive you crazy! I skipped a lot of the "negative" information which I call the "What Could  Go Wrong" sections. But for a week by week play by play, I found it to be extremely accurate and felt better knowing that some of the symptoms or sensations I was feeling were perfectly normal. It was a a huge sigh of relief and saved me a few thousand on unnecessary doctor's visit to answer such simple questions.

My Cousin recommended this book which she read while pregnant. It is HILARIOUS. I would be reading it on the couch next to my fiance and just start laughing out loud. When he would ask what is so funny? I would read a section or two of what these women were doing while pregnant and he would laugh right along with me because I was doing the exact same things! Let's just say that while on a road trip and realizing you have to pee isn't such a big deal when NOT pregnant. When you ARE pregnant, it's a life or death situation and you lose all control of your sweet, loving, mothering self and turn into a crazy, bitch demanding that whomever is driving pull over on the side street of a family friendly neighborhood before you burst! And honestly, you will not care if 6 year old Timmy watches in horror. You will be the happiest woman in the world. This book relives all of the crazy things and actions women go through while carrying a child.

This book is also one that made me chuckle. I was reading her blog before I found out she had a book and was amused by some of the confessions on there, but the book contains many mothers, all in different situations, confessing honest thoughts and actions about rearing children. I have to admit, while funny, it's also a bit disturbing. I'm sure that some of these violent thoughts (like throwing children) are just thoughts and do not manifest into actual actions, but you don't really know. Maybe it's because my boy is so young that he doesn't annoy me as much as these mothers are annoyed by their children, but, as for right now, I could not relate to a lot of these "confessions". The ones I could relate to were pretty tame. For instance, if I were to have another child, I do wonder if I will love him/her as much as I love my first. I'm sure I will, no doubt, but some of these women talk about having favorites and so on. It's actually pretty scary.

I read a lot on the internet too. Whatever I could not find in my "What To Expect..." book, or if I didn't have the book on hand, I searched online for. And there were MANY of those days and nights. But I found that most of my answers came from http://www.babycenter.com/ . I absolutely suggest anyone who is pregnant join this site. It is practically a digital version of the "What To Expect..." book, only there are forums and posts of new mothers, expectant mothers, OB-GYNs, etc... all sharing experiences, concerns and their medical opinions. It really makes you feel like you are apart of a new, secret club that accepts you no matter how gross or fat or uncomfortable you feel you are becoming while your body and mind go through this experience. And that alone helps more than anyone can tell you.

Comments

Popular Posts