A Little Anxious Confession

I'm sure I will get a lot of people who can relate to me when it comes to anxiety. I use to suffer from anxiety at a very high level when I was away at college. I would have horrible panic attacks about mostly anything. If I didn't hear from my Mother or Father I would immediately assume the worst had happened and proceed to go over a variety of events that could have occurred. If I was worrying about a paper, or an event coming up, I would obsess over everything I had to do until I couldn't sleep at night. If I thought I was gaining too much weight I would fear myself into believing I may become obese and go nuts working out and barely eating. If something wasn't clean enough I would stay up until the early hours of the morning cleaning and organizing whatever I could and if I didn't, I would panic about it.

I can't say that I overcame all of my anxieties, but I have taken steps to managing them. I read a lot of books in the process and they all have the same underlying thought process which was to be more positive. As corny as that sounds, it really does help. The more positive you are, the happier you will be and the better you will feel overall. I'm not an expert or anything, I'm just speaking from personal experience. 

In 2012, I went through a very difficult time. There was a lot of change going on and a bunch of things I was dealing with personally and as sad as this may sound to people, I decided to go into the self help section of Barnes and Noble. I'm not ashamed by it today, but at the time I felt like I was going to be judged for which section of the bookstore I was looking in. But, I'm glad I ventured from the fiction section for a moment to try to find an answer to dealing with things. You would be surprised what you find over there! "Girl Interrupted" which is my favorite book was the first thing that I saw. So you just never know what you may find in unexpected places!

Anyway, I bought a few books throughout my years but the few that really resinated with me I pictured below:







I was going to do a little blurb about all three individually but I realized that what worked so well for me was what they all had in common. Each author believes in the power of positivity. If you think I'm nuts and some cheery little girly girl, I regret to tell you that you are mistaken. I still have negative moments. I still get anxiety, but I am much better now than I ever was before. These books teach you to try and look at situations, as shitty as they may be, and focus on the positive. Think positive. Act positive. Don't dwell. Envision happiness. Take control over situations. And most importantly- don't be so damn negative all the time.

"The Secret" was one of my favorite books. I have recommended it to friends and co-workers before. The idea gets judged a lot. But it really does work. I'm not in some cult or anything like that, I'm just saying that I am at my happiest when I envision nothing but good things for myself and focus on the amazingly, great things that will come to me by doing so.

Right now, with all these changes and things to get done in my life right now, it's hard to always be positive. Shit happens. You lose a job, loved ones get sick, you fight with your boyfriend, the possibilities are endless, but the thing to try and remember is that everything you have been through and will go through will only make you a stronger, better person. So you have to look at the positive aspects of life! If you are negative all the time you will have nothing but anxiety. I know a lot of friends who have anxiety and if this way of thinking has helped me, then hopefully it will help others out as well.

And of course a little xanex never hurt nobody. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts