The Bottle Switch

My son had been having problems with gas pains for a while now. We tried gas drops, which seemed to help a bit but he was still uncomfortable after feeding from his bottle. My fiance and I were told to use Avent when we were purchasing everything for baby months ago, so that is what we were using (picture below).

I don't know if it was just our bottle or what, but there would be bubbles in the nipple ALL THE TIME. No matter how long we let the formula mixture settle after shaking it. I also noticed that the nipples were all different. I know the sizing for a newborn is different than a 3 month old, we were using all newborn and when i would test the temperature on my wrist, some newborn nipples would drip out a little on the slow side, which is what we were looking for, while others would be a constant stream! Also, he would gag on the nipples a lot. They seemed to be very long, even for the newborn stage. So, needless to say, our mothers were concerned with the bottles and suggested for the umpteenth time that we switch. So we did!

We did some research and decided on Playtex VentAire (below). Let me tell you... I was skeptical at first. I still saw air bubbles in the nipple but nowhere near the amount that the Avent ones had. The design alone was much more comfortable for both me and the baby. But the most drastic part of this change is that he is not screaming in pain from gas anymore! Of course, I wish I had switched sooner, but being a new mother, you hear that babies will have gas and so you think it's normal and then you know EVERYONE has an opinion on what you should do about it and I listened to everyone BUT our mothers and in hindsight, that's who I should have been listening to all along.
It's been about two weeks since the switch and my baby has been in such relief of gas and he burps so much more easier now! And when he does have gas, it's not in the amount he use to. He no longer has "gas attacks" after feedings and is much more comfortable! 

I would say that there isn't a right or wrong way to parent. You just try a bunch of different things to find what works. Every baby is different but if you feel that maybe a change will benefit you both, then why not try it?? :)

I also had a guest blogger helping me out which was done ironically after eating. :) Cool, calm and burped! 


Comments

Popular Posts